Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hungarian Shortbread



I'm about to eat another one of these buggers.  I am a sucker for shortbread.  Any version really.  I think it's all the butter.   My husband tells me they are even better today (day #3).  So, I won't regret eating another one.   After all I need to see if that is really the case, scientifically speaking.

I followed this recipe without variation.  I even made the vanilla- rhubarb jam as it was described.  The jam turned out quite runny, so I turned it back on the heat for a bit longer to reduce it a bit, but then I think I had too little jam.  As a result the sweet shortbread far outweighs the tart rhubarb jam, but when I do get a bite that balances the two, the desert is quite perfect.  It's just that, this doesn't happen enough in this go-around.  Next time, more rhubarb jam.

And I think there will be another time for this recipe.  It was simple but the result was decadent enough to bely it's simplicity.  I envision this one around the holidays with cranberry preserves...

For the full recipe see our hosts for this week:


Lynette of 1smallkitchen
Cher of The not so exciting adventures of a dabbler…

of the Tuesdays with Dorie/ Baking with Julia baking community

1 comment:

  1. These were a bit dangerous to have around - I am glad they went quickly in my house.
    Looks good - thanks for baking along this week.

    ReplyDelete