|Rhiannon- a cake eater|
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Mocha Brownie Cake
This sounded like my kind of cake… a brownie cake. As previously mentioned in this blog (with every cake recipe), I am not a cake fan. I am a huge brownie fan however. So, if there is a cake out there I might like, a brownie cake just might be it. (I am slightly exaggerating as there are a few cakes out there I have enjoyed and would even eat again (Rhubarb Upside Down cake is one of them). This cake, however, was more cake and less brownie. A great one for cake lovers. A tolerable one for brownie lovers.
It has some redeemable qualities worth mentioning:
- the ganache frosting/ filling is delicious and super easy to work with (I will dog-ear the recipe for this alone.)
- the recipe comes together easily
- the ganache has coffee in it
- the recipe outlines a simple and effective way to assemble a layer cake which was new to me, utilizing the spring form pan used to bake it
- there is never a bite without the ganache
I must confess that this may have been a bit more brownie-like had I baked the cake for less than the stated time. As it was, the first time I checked it, the cake was already done and possibly a bit dry, but this was hard to tell given all that delicious ganache which lent moisture to every bite. I will be curious to see how my fellow bakers baked this one up. Check theirs out at Tuesdays with Dorie.